Saturday, March 19, 2011

the makings of my paradise...

This is what my backyard USED TO look like {on a good day}:

from the left
from the right
Not that is was unfortunate looking, I just plain hated it. The plants the previous owner chose were large and unruly, coupled with the fact that they just weren't my style. As a result, this is what my backyard would look like every couple of months, when I would decide to tame the wilderness:
{vomit}
So a couple of weeks ago I decided to take matters into my own hands. My mother found this fantastic Pygmy Date Palm at Costco and convinced me to buy it. I later stopped by the old Walmart and purchased two Hibiscus plants and a Bird of Paradise plant. Mmm...delish:
I mean, what's not to love? If these don't scream Alayna's Pink Paradise, I am not sure what does:
So now the fun begins. My sweetest father came over to my house last weekend (mind you, we had a 90 degree heat wave...in March?!) and the destruction began. One of the monstrous plants was removed and this lovely tree was planted (to the left of the yard):
Because of the complex root systems (aka devilish plants from previous owner), my dad decided to enlist the help of my brother for more terror plant removal this weekend. Doesn't it look better already?!
Honestly, look at the gnarly roots on these bad boys! I tell you, they were evil plants and I am not sad to see them go:
Now the real fun (in my opinion) begins. You have to look closely, but in the far right corner of the yard you can see the planting of my Bird of Paradise. Yucca's are still in the front section of the yard:
And THIS is what my backyard looks like now after some transplanting of the Yucca's and planting of the others:

Some may call it sparse, I call it clean and pretty. I can't help but walk into my backyard every couple of hours and smile. Mind you, the landscaping is not done. Picture, if you will, some curved cement pavers in front of the plants, with some artificial grass in front of that, extending to the patio. Isn't it a dream? Maybe not for you, but it's a dream for me. The beginnings of my own personal Pink Paradise. Yay!

3 comments:

jessi said...

Yea for dreams starting to come true! ps I still need an update from your last blog-details please

Amy Piller said...

it looks great, I want to come visit and see it in person. Can't wait to see you here very soon!

Kevin said...

I like your new font, etc.