Tuesday, July 5, 2011

San Antonio

If I had to come up with a few, short phrases to describe San Antonio, Texas I would say: beautiful architecture, good eats, questionable people, and torturous heat. It was HOT!!! And not just because it was over 100 degrees...because it was over 100 degrees and had high levels of humidity on top of it. As my mother and I walked around to various stores I kept seeing this catch phrase that said, "You can go to Hell. I am going to Texas." I think they are one in the same...

Case and point:
This is my self-portrait after our first night there. Notice my flourescent purple face, complete with beads of sweat. I thought I would die almost everyday. But it was worth it. San Antonio truly is a magical city, full of history and charm. I just probably won't visit again in the summer.

The first night there we visited this little Spanish square where they had everything latino: clothing, food, etc. It was here that I made my first friend...
...and fell in love with dead people! Sounds crazy, I know. But everywhere I went I was bombarded by skulls. Little Spanish dancers with dead faces, little Mariachi Band members with dead faces, and my personal favorite, brides and grooms that looked like death. For some reason, it was comical to me. Yes, I get that they are just celebrating Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had to take a picture of the hanging banners just so you can see how much these skulls lined the streets:
Another fun site visited was the world famous River Walk. It was breathtaking. Just a simple little river lined with shops and restaurants. But I think the thing that captured my eye the most were the bridges everywhere. No bridge was like another and I loved each and every one.And, of course, I LOVED the architecture of all the buildings. The town of San Antonio is very historic, and the people are very much intent on keeping the history alive. There were so many cool buildings. Here are just a few of my favorite architectural details:There were so many other fun details to be seen too. From trees coming out of the building walls, to tree roots that look like little gophers, there was so much to take in. And I enjoyed it all (when I wasn't dying of heat stroke).Another spot visited was the Alamo. I am sure it is a great place, but I could not enjoy it because the heat was unbearable on our way over there. I think my mom had heat exhaustion and I was dripping like a faucet. Not fun at all. It was pretty though, and atleast we got a picture for posterity. And the fact that the picture was taken by a super cute Australian was even better!On the way to the airport, we made a stop at Lulu's Bakery & Cafe to buy one of their famous 3 1/2 lb cinnamon rolls. The restaurant had been featured on Man vs Food and my brother made us promise we would stop there. I wish I would have taken a picture of the sweet roll. It was gigantic. Probably bigger than my head, no joke. It was pretty awesome carrying it on the plane with me. In fact, it was heavy and I would claim that it weighed more than 3 1/2 lbs. Once I got home the cinnamon roll went in the freezer, and hasn't been touched since. I will let you know if it's any good when the family decides to try it.

All in all, it was a great trip and I am so glad that my parents took me there to celebrate. It truly is a beautiful city. Just deathly hot. But it would figure, I got home to AZ and we had a heat wave...temperatures of 120 degrees.


{hooray for dry heat}

3 comments:

jessi said...

I loved the faces on the building :) looks like a fun city- One I will have to put on my list- but in the winter :)

Cara said...

I now want to visit there so bad!!!! I love all the architecture detail although I am a baby when it comes to humidity and was even crying when I was in flippin Hawaii...come on...it's Hawaii!!!

Emily Stradling said...

Wow! I had no idea San Antonio had so many points of interest! Sounds like a fun place to visit, but not live, I will take dry heat over dripping wet humidity heat any day.