Sunday, August 14, 2011

transitions

I lack desire to blog...and the only thing I can attribute it to is transitioning. You see, ever since I had my birthday, I have been in a sort of funk. I don't know where I fit in the world anymore. I feel too old to hang out with the youngins, and I feel too young to hang out with the old folks. It's quite the predicament. And one that I have shed many a tear over. I do not write this post hoping for sympathy or pretending like I am absorbed in depression. It's just a trying time of life, but one that I will definitely come out a better person from for having experienced it.


Ever since my roomie moved out I have been doing a lot of pondering. I have had lots of spare time on my hands...and lots of silence (I cancelled my cable...and it pretty much sucks). So many thoughts have ensued, and I have realized that I am pretty much anti-social. Sure, I like to hang out with my best girls...but I am definitely not a go-out-every-night-and-do-something-fun type of person. I like my weekdays to myself, and my weekends with...mostly myself. Yikes! I fear that once I am {kicked} out of the singles branch I will become a recluse. And recluses are terrible! So, I have been trying to change my attitude, and looking for new ways to get into a social scene.

Flash forward to last week. My dear, sweet visiting teacher came over to chit chat a little. Mind you, she is a lot younger than me, but the most adorable girl ever. I know her intentions are righteous, but sometimes someone will never really understand what you are going through until they are in that situation themselves. We were just talking about transitions {a hot topic for me these days} and she mentioned that she would be so sad and upset if she were in my position. Um, thanks? I just smiled. And nodded. Yes, that's exactly how I felt. But then she mentioned her roomie who is not of the young single adult age that is very active in the mid-singles scene. My heart leaped!


To make a long story short, this girl is having a game night tonight with the mid-singles. And you better believe that I am going to go! After all, these are my people! My new friends! And I am excited!


But my favorite part of this all, and something that just happened today is this: the mid-singles girl got my email address to send me invites when the mid-singles have activities. I got an invite today, for a game night, next week. Where is this game night you might ask? Well...it's at a retirement home. Oh brother.


{just keep smiling}

3 comments:

Lindsey and Zach said...

Just remember Layns, just because you feel older, doesn't mean you are, and you definitely don't look it whatsoever. It doesn't matter a whole lot with the dating thing either, you too can hook a young one like Amy and me did. Just don't become a recluse, just don't and that's it, no excuses. and Alyana you fit in more places than you realize, just keep up your fantastic, funny, loving personality. People are drawn to you, for you are the ONE and ONLY Alayna on this earth! Love ya so much and miss you all the time!

jessi said...

Look on the bright side, maybe at the retirement home you could find a really really rich guy who would be your sugar daddy :) Just kidding :) I love you laynes and I'm sorry you have to do through this. Try to remember.... "This too shall pass"
Life will move on and you will find your place :)
Love you

Amy Piller said...

Grant & I wish you lived next door to us becasue we are old farts too:) Who knows the older singles sene might be exactly what you need! I love and miss you tons we need to plan our trip to see Staci!