Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ode to cake

Do you like my new song selections? I figured since I blog so much about cake decorating these days that I would change my music to match my blogs. I love Cake!

Ok, here is the update from cake decorating week 3: We did cupcakes this week...which was a bit more manageable for me. But before decorating the cupcakes we worked on our roses. This picture (on the left) says it all: I HATE ROSES! For the life of me I cannot figure out how to do them. To prove my point I am going to let you in on a little secret about my lameness: I spent my Friday night practicing my cake decorating skills. L-A-M-E-!!!! I practiced making a rose then, and for some reason I think I did a better job that day than I did at class on Tuesday. The blue rose here on the right is the one I did over the weekend. Hmm... One day I will figure it out. Or I guess I will just have to stay home this weekend and practice some more...

After attempting, and utterly failing at the roses, we learned about scallops and then focused on some really cute drop flowers. I liked those a lot, but had issues doing the twisty-turny drop flowers. I think the pictures in the book are rigged because no one in class made flowers that looked even similar to the ones in the book. Oh well.

And then it was time for the figure piping. Some people bought really creepy clown heads and made a little body for the clown head to rest on. I am not really a clown fan, so I chose not to do that. However, I must admit they turned out pretty cute. I chose to focus more on the little faces. The truth is, I only completed one cupcake in class. For some reason I just wasn't in the mood to decorate my cupcakes in class. But the second I got home I decorated all the rest...strange, I know. Anyway, here are some of the cupcakes I decorated at home:I think these cupcakes are hysterical because they define my life so well. By the way, my dad is going to have a coronary when he reads this...but IT HAS TO be done for the sake of my blog. What do you think of when you see these cupcakes? Obviously the girl in the middle is me. The boy on the right is the type of guy my parents want me to marry (choose the right) and the boy on the left is the type of guy I find myself attracted to. Yes, I am ridiculous, I know! Anyway, I just thought it was fun to create these cute little cupcakes with faces on them. The rest of the cupcakes were covered in drop flowers, using all of my left over frosting. They didn't look the most appealing, but like I said earlier, I wasn't feeling like doing anything too over-the-top with my cupcakes that day.

However, I am glad I decided to finish the rest of the cupcakes because that night we had a little party for my pal Danny's birthday. I only had one goal while in class and that was to make a special birthday cupcake for Danny. So I tried my hand at recreating his face (keep in mind, I don't have artistic skill whatsoever) and added the title of his favorite card game (and his secret idol), then tried to add a little bit of a manly touch by adding some brown stars around the outer edge. When another friend called to talk to me about our little get-together he asked if I would bring my other cupcakes so everyone else could have one too. So, everyone else got to enjoy cupcakes with pink flowers on them. Oh well. They eat just the same. It was a fun night hanging with the old gang again, eating cupcakes and enjoying some amazing milkshakes. Good times made possible by my cake decorating class!

5 comments:

Amy Piller said...

love them, you really make me want to go to a cake decorating class or maybe just go bye some and eat them;)

jessi said...

How fun! I want to take a class too!

Mrs. JM said...

i have picked up the flyer for the class at our local hobby lobby several times. i really want to go. i need a babysitter.

p.s. i hate roses too. real ones that can make you bleed and ones made from frosting.

Emily said...

so fun. I look forward to thursday updates of your class. I find myself looking forward to your next update, just like Taylor is so excited about ballet, I can't wait until your next class.

Marianne and Matt said...

Someday when we live by eachother, will you make me an AWESOME birthday cake, with Chris Ledoux's face on it? Thanks, I knew you would!