Friday, September 2, 2011

heart breaker

Hi. My name is Alayna. And I am a heart breaker.

Sometimes I wonder why things happen in life. But mostly, I just think that God has a sense of humor. And this year has been comical for me.

Wanna hear a story? It's a good one...

You've all heard my dating woes {or lack thereof}. And you all know that I have been trying my hand at the online dating thing. Well I will be the first to tell you that I am not a fan. I was skeptical to begin with...and now I'm even more so. To begin...I paid for a membership nearly 3 months ago, and until this last weekend NOTHING had happened. Sure, I sent flirts to lots of cuties and occasionally got a flirt and/or message back, but nothing too exciting. Flash forward to last weekend. I was working my butt off at Creative Escape when I check my email to see that I have gotten a flirt and message from the online dating site. I look at the message and it seems pretty promising. He's a bigger guy, kinda scruffy looking with an amazing smile. He just joined the church a few months ago and is looking for love. Aren't we all? So I messaged him back letting him know that I was interested. Things progressed from there. We messaged for a couple of days and he let me know that he had a past but that he was trying to change his life. He gave me his phone number and told me I could call. Being the old fashioned girl that I am did not call him...after all, that's a man's job to call the lady. After much consideration I gave him my phone number and told him he could call me.

I expected a phone call that night and did not get one. I was a little shocked since he seemed so anxious to talk to me before hand. The next day at work I get a text message from him asking for my name...because he had accidentally deleted the message with my name in it. Red flag number one. He asks if he can call me that night and I agree. I tell him I get off work at 5 so he says he'll call at 6.

I was so freaking nervous/excited to talk to him. I could not believe that this was happening. My mind raced thinking about how cool it would be if he was "the one" and how weird it would be to get married.

And then we talked on the phone.

For 3 1/2 hours.

He told me EVERYTHING. More information than I cared to know about someone I am just talking to for the first time. He asked me personal questions that I did not expect to hear until we had been dating a while...like how many kids I wanted and what I would name them. Honestly, it felt like he was planning our whole future together, and I hadn't even met him yet! After I finally got him off the phone my mind was racing. We had talked about going on a date next week (let me interject that he is a truck driver and was on the road when he called me...probably very lonely and anxious for a reason to come home) but I was a little concerned. I watched some Vampire Diaries to calm myself down and then went to bed.

The next morning I got a "good morning sunshine ;-)" text from him. Hmm. Not only am I NOT a fan of sideways smiley faces (and he used lots of them), I was just a little creeped out by the text. Then minutes later I got a friend request from him on Facebook. Wow. What in the world is going on? I felt overwhelmed. This guy was a quick mover. And I was not loving it.

He had said the night before that he was going to call me after work again. I kindly texted him and asked him if he could wait to call me until after 9. Heck, I was not gonna waste my cell phone minutes on him...especially when he likes talking for hours on end. I got a text back that said that he would call me then, but wondered if we could text in the meantime. Then he told me that he had put in his request for time home and that he would be back in AZ on Tuesday but they were trying to figure out a way to get him home sooner. He was just so excited to see me in person {insert sideways smiley face}.

And that's the moment I fell apart.

This boy was obsessed. The sickness I was feeling ever since the morning text message had multiplied.

After conversing with co-workers and my mother, I decided that I would put a stop to this...right then. So I sent him a text when I got home from work stating that this was all just too much, too soon and that I couldn't do it.

Then the text messages started.

He apologized that I was feeling that way and he didn't understand because he thought our phone call went so well and that we had so much in common. Pretty much, it felt like he was doing everything in his power to get me to respond so that we could keep texting and talking to each other. I ignored his messages the rest of the night. And I haven't heard from him since.

The second I sent the "I can't do this" text I felt so much relief. Sure, I feel bad that I hurt him. And he probably doesn't even realize that he was just too obsessive for me. But I feel better. And that's all that matters...

Blog friends, don't think this experience will stop me from trying! There is still hope for me! And you better believe that I went on that dating site today and sent flirts to more boys...

{one day my prince will come}

P.S. If your name is Michael and you want to date me, you better wait until next year...

5 comments:

Lindsey and Zach said...

Oh Layns...what can I say except that I am relieved you didn't go out with this guy, especially if you were planning a one on one with him with no one else with you. Although, 3 1/2 hours of talking, you must have had a lot in common, too bad he was so pushy/creepy. Good senses to have avoided him!

Kevin said...

Wait, so girls aren't the only ones that exhibit this type of behavior?!?!?! That's good to know.

:)

^ That one's just for you Alayna.

Good call kicking him to the curb. That's way too fast, even for Mormons. But apparently, you're already engaged, so doors closing, opening, etc...

Cara said...

I am so happy that you stopped this sooner rather than later. While it would of been a hoot to spy on you and your date if he really took you out I know it would of only been harder to break things off with him.
I know someone is out there for you Alaynie. Maybe just not a someone named Michael...boy was that wierd!

Amy Piller said...

Crazy story! Lets talk soon!

tiare said...

yeah, dude sounded like a creeper. keep workin' it girl! trust me, you have so much going for you i'm positive there is a lucky guy out there who deserves you!
notes to self:
*no mentioning vomit
*no more side smileys!
love you laynze!