Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when everything starts looking up and I am making fun new changes, something else comes around and kicks me in the panties. Well this morning I got kicked...hard. It started the way any usual day starts, me pushing snooze a million times, not quite ready to wake up and go to work. But then I realized that I needed to get gas before going to work, so I tried to get ready a little faster. I walk out the door, put the key in the ignition, turn the key, and nothing happens! Just some little pictures lighting up on the dash, but no clicking noise or anything. I immediately feel sick to my stomach. Did I leave a light on all night? What the heck happened? So, I call my mother and wake her up to tell her the news. Neither of us are really car savvy, so she suggested I call my brother. My dear, sweet brother drives the 30 minutes to my house and checks my battery. He thinks it's dead. So we take it to the franchise I got my last battery from a little over a year ago (my brother rescued me that time too). They confirm that my battery is in fact toast. Luckily, it is under warranty, so a free battery is handed over. We drive back to my house, put in the new battery and turn the key. Nothing. But this time the nothing is a whole lot more nothing that the last nothing. Confused? This time there were no dome lights on in the car, no little pictures flashing on the dash...absolutely nothing. To make a long story shorter, my car was left in my garage. My brother drove me to my parents' house and I am now driving their beast. How thankful I am that my parents have a car available for me to use! So now, I am at a loss. I have no idea what is wrong with my car, I cannot get it out of my garage unless I tow it, and who knows how much money it will cost me. Geez! I am barely making ends meet as it is. A car problem is definitely not in the budget. Oh well. It will all work out I am sure.

Which leads me to my happiness for the day. For years now I have been receiving LDS Nuggets in my inbox a few times a week. And for years, I have never looked at them or even knew what they were. It was only about 3 weeks ago that I decided it was time I check them out. And, to put it simply, they are just little thoughts or quotes related to a gospel topic intended to bring you comfort and joy. Well, today I got one in my inbox and it was PERFECT! So, I would like to share it with you:

"For those who are discouraged by their circumstances and are therefore tempted to feel they cannot serve the Lord this day, I make you two promises. Hard as things seem today, they will be better in the next day if you choose to serve the Lord this day with your whole heart. Your circumstances may not be improved in all the ways which you desire. But you will have been given new strength to carry your burdens and new confidence that when your burdens become too heavy, the Lord, whom you have served, will carry what you cannot. He knows how. He prepared long ago. He suffered for your infirmities and your sorrows when He was in the flesh so that He would know how to succor you." -Henry B. Eyring, "This Day", Ensign, May 2007, 89-91

Isn't that perfect? I thought so. And I have decided that I am going to serve today. I am going to forget about myself and my problems, and help someone else in need.

5 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

Not that I know much about cars, but it sounds like it might be your starter. Steven has fixed starters in cars before, so if you know someone who knows a little about tinkering on cars, you could have them try it (and the part at a part store won't be all that much) that way you don't have to pay for towing and stuff... good luck!! i hope you get it fixed for cheap!!

Stephanie said...

Oh man! I'm sorry, that is not a good way to start off a day! But at least you were blessed with your parents' car and the message you received! Have fun at New Moon tonight!

Lindsey and Zach said...

That quote is oh so perfect for me right now Layns, you must of known that I needed to hear that "hugely" right now.

Emily said...

oh, I totally want to hear how your experiment turns out. I Learned this when I was 11 and I LOVE it. Behind the clouds sun will always shine!

Marianne and Matt said...

Sorry about the car...I HATE car problems. The qoute is so great. Thanks for the reminder to serve....it really is so important for my well being:)