Wednesday, November 11, 2009

a love affair

I bet you didn't know that I was still taking cake decorating classes did you? The reason I haven't posted about it is because course 2 did not require the making of a cake until the very last week. And let's just face it...my final cake was less than stellar. Here is a picture of my flower basket/horribly ugly bird cake:

I did love making the flowers and love how they turned out, but I had some issues putting a bird on my cake (I am not a fan of birds and it makes me sad that birds are on everything...especially in the scrapbook world). However, since I was the only person who actually brought my completed bird to class my classmates coaxed me into adding it. And don't even get me started on the basketweave. I was not in the mood for cake decorating that night and didn't feel like taking my time and evenly spacing my weaves. But, the whole cake was a disaster from the beginning. I had issues with the filling and by the time I got to class my cake was spilling out the sides and practically falling over. Anyway, enough of my ranting. It was what it was and now it's over and gone. But here is proof that I successfully completed course 2:


Now on to my love affair. I just started course 3 which is a fondant based class. We made our first cake on Tuesday and I am so pleased with the way my cake turned out. We made a square cake to look like a present, and I think it is the cutest present ever!!! So, for your viewing pleasure, I have taken a picture from nearly every angle of my cake and have posted a few for you:
Honestly, what is not to love? The little details just make my heart sing! I hate the taste of fondant, but I certainly love plastering it on my cake!!! I would much rather work with fondant than buttercream icing. It is a dream come true! I loved every minute of this cake class. It certainly made up for my dislike of course 2. I can't wait to make more! Stay tuned for the week of Thanksgiving when I make my final wedding-like tiered cake. It is going to be really pretty! And then, I will take a cake decorating break and stop spending money on silly cake decorating supplies. Until then, here is a present for you:

5 comments:

Kevin said...

This is WAY better than the cake a woman made on Cake Challenge last week. Kudos!

tiare said...

Awesome...Duff...I mean Alayna!!! I think you are so cool for doing this!!

Amy Piller said...

LOVE IT!!! I think that is so cute!

Curt, Charlene, Luke, Ty, Jake and Chase said...

LOVE how the fondant cake turned out! Way to go :)

Marianne and Matt said...

so cute....every little detail!! Wish you would have taken the class before I got married so I could have saved some money on my cake.