Tuesday, June 28, 2011

a FRIENDly celebration

The Saturday before my birthday I had made plans to hang out with my mom, go to lunch, get a pedicure...you know, the girly things that we normally do each year to celebrate. I remember talking to my mom a few days before that saying, "I can't believe you are taking me to lunch and to get pedicures when we are going to San Antonio and Sea World for my actual birthday. But, you know, I won't deny your gifts." She just smiled.

I had no clue what really awaited me.

I arrived at my mother's house around 11am, just in time for lunch at Crackers, my favorite restaurant. Of course the door was locked when I arrived, so I knocked and patiently waited for her to answer. When the door opened, I saw this really cute black and white striped dress. I thought it was strange that my mother would wear a dress and my second thought was that she looked different. Then my eyes traveled upward and I saw a face that did not belong to my mother either. It took a minute to register, but when it did my heart skipped a beat. Standing in front of me was my best friend from Utah...Amy {Toe-Toggle-Tarian Triple T Richins Seamons} Piller!!!It was the birthday surprise to end all birthday surprises, and definitely the best thing I could have ever hoped for. I am so lucky to have such great friends!


The first thing my mom said after the initial surprise wore off was, "Did you really think I was going to take you to lunch and to get pedicures when we are going to San Antonio tomorrow?" Why yes mom, yes I did. She is such a crafty little deceiver...


So off I went, with my Amy, to eat lunch at my favorite little spot. The food was good, the company was better, and the dessert was joyful:After lunch we headed to get pedicures. I have been going through a dark purple phase and couldn't find myself getting excited about any other colors. Amy soon decided that she would get a bright orange and I immediately felt like I should be spontaneous and different as well. After all, it is summer...and dark purple is depressing. So she convinced me to try a very bright blue (it was mostly because we miss high school and wanted to sport our old school colors...kind of). It is bright. And lovely. And I am so glad I made the decision.Not really a fan of the polka dot flowers up the side of the toe (I miss the days of actual artsy flowers on my toes), but LOVE the color and loved spending time with my friend.


After some relaxation we met {some of} my AZ friends for dinner at Gecko Grill. I am so glad that Amy and her husband decided to join us because it was fun spending more time with them.Once our bellies were full and my wallet was full of Rod Works gift cards, we headed out for the evening festivities. My friends took me to this amazing place in Tempe called The Big Bang.
It is this amazing dueling piano bar where you make all sorts of song requests and listen to good music. Highly recommended. I LOVED IT!!! My first request: The Backstreet Boys.And, of course, my friends requested that I get embarrassed for my birthday, so I got called up on stage with some twins celebrating their 40th birthday. We got to smile for everyone, did a little leg kicking, and then showed off our hokey pokey skills. Right arm, left arm, boobies, head and booty. That's right, I had to shake my behind for everyone. I figured everyone was drunk anyway, so why not have some fun with it. My signature dance move, "The Alayna" made an appearance. It was slightly embarrassing, but my friends loved it...which made me happy. I had such a great night!


The marrieds:


The singles:Thanks friends for such a wonderful day! I say it all the time, but I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have such amazing friends that go above and beyond to make me feel special.


{I definitely felt it}

4 comments:

Cara said...

I love that Bog Whopper is throwing out the bunny ears! What a goon! I am so glad you had fun! It was such a memorable night and we need to do it again soon! I sure do love you!

jessi said...

How fun ! I'm glad you had a great day!!!

Amy Piller said...

I forgot to send you the pictures I am so sorry. I will send them tonight! I was so glad to come see you it really was so fun to spend the night with you and your friends I am glad you have such good friends there it made me feel a little better that you are so far away from me!
love ya

Emily Stradling said...

That was such a fun night! I am so glad we are friends and that I got to celebrate your birthday with you!