Monday, April 20, 2009

CSI Mesa (graphic images ahead)

I had quite the experience this morning, but before I get into the "guts" of it all, let me set the scene for you: Last night I was hunting in the garage, looking for some scrapbook projects for one of my good pals. I needed my ladder to get my projects off of the high shelf in my garage, so I managed to balance the ladder above my head while I squeezed around my car. Upon doing so, the ladder got caught to the red pulley thing hanging down from the garage door mechanism. I unhooked it and didn't think anything of it, continuing along with my own business. Fast forward to Monday morning at 5:02am. Sarah calls to let me know that she is waiting in my driveway to pick me up to go to the gym. Mind you, I had only woken up 2 minutes earlier (she got there extra early) so I wasn't quite ready. After getting ready I headed toward the garage because it is easier for me just to go out the garage and close it with the keypad outside, rather than going out the front door and having to physically lock it. So, big surprise, when I went to open the garage it mysteriously would not open. I tried a few times but quickly gave up knowing that Sarah was waiting for me and had been waiting for a while. So I proceeded out the front door, locking it behind me (with lights on so I could see where I was going since the sun doesn't even show it's face that early in the morning) and go to the gym. The gym pretty much sucked, but that is a different story. So after my stellar workout Sarah drops me off at my house. As I am walking to my front door she rolls down her window to ask me if I need help fixing my garage so I could get my car out of it and get to work. I had something like this happen once before and I knew it would be an easy fix, so I declined her offer. At this time, the sun is peaking out so I can see everything in my path now, so imagine my surprise when I turn the corner to go to my front door and see this bloody scene on the sidewalk:

Yep, someone was murdered in front of my house! I immediately let Sarah know that there has been a homicide and invite her to investigate the scene with me (all the while wetting myself in fear that whatever killed this poor creature could still be lurking and waiting for me!).

the scene of the attack

hmm...where do these blood splatters lead?

oh yes, another hidden gem around the corner

the view from the other side...but what is that spot closest to the blood smear on the bottom (but more toward the middle of the two blood spots)?oh, I guess the predator forgot something...mmm rabbit foot? (I thought those things were supposed to bring you luck...)

So, after investigating this is what I have concluded: You see all the rocks on the sidewalk near the blood smear? I am thinking that is either where the predator leaped out and captured the prey, or that is where the predator took the prey for breakfast. The bushes were a little discombobulated in that area. Either way, it was a sad day for my favorite neighborhood bunny. Rest in peace/pieces good buddy! Your toe has been buried in the rocks in case the predator decides to finish you off...

Clean up time:

All better! Thanks Sarah for your hose complete with spray attachment and for your mad investigating skills. Here's to hoping I never come home to a scene like this again!

So, as you can see, my morning was interesting. Wouldn't you agree? Then the day just got worse because not only did I have to relive this nightmare all day, but we (the state of Arizona) also reached our first 100 degree temperature today. It is starting. Ahhh!!! The blasted summer/6 months of extreme heat is here. Not so much looking forward to it...

3 comments:

Staci said...

Wow - that is disgusting! I think I may have thrown up while cleaning that up.

Mrs. JM said...

i almost threw up my dinner. i should have known your warning was for real. oh i would have died!!! no way i could have cleaned that up myself. hats off to you.

Marianne and Matt said...

That's NASTY!! I'm proud of you for cleaning it yourself. If that happened to us I would have had to clean it up too....I am tougher than Matt:)