Tuesday, July 21, 2009

weekend wonderment

A little "birdie" told me that I needed to write a post about my weekend...so here it is! My weekend was fantastic! It was packed full of exciting events and I still feel as if I haven't quite recovered. It all started on Friday, my mandatory day off of work, when the mother and I decided to get ourselves a little pedicure to boost our spirits after the last couple of weeks' events. My poor mom has just had a rough time lately. Besides, she got a pedicure in June that was a little bit scary...so a redo was much needed! Just kidding. Pedicures = love.

The rest of the day was spent being lazy and wasting my life on the computer playing the world's worst game: Farkle!

Mind you, I love the game Farkle...but the game on Facebook is rigged and super frustrating! So to make up for it, I played the real game with my parents that night. I let my mom win because I felt sorry for her...

Saturday was just a day full of chaos...but fun chaos. I woke up at the crack 'o dawn to go visit my brown friend for possibly the last time. It was pretty uneventful, but needed to be done for my own sanity. After the visit it was off to Walmart to buy some much needed postcards...and I threw in some fruit too. Had I known how much time I would be spending at Walmart later, I probably would have not gone. But we will get to that in a minute.

I tried to get in a quick nap, but was unsuccessful. I thought about going to the gym, but silenced my brain. So I basically laid on my bed and watched tv until it was time to meet up with my friends for lunch. I met these girls when I lived in the fabulous town of Nauvoo, Illinois...home of this amazing site:


These girls have since moved to AZ and live just about 20 minutes away. However, I am lazy and never visit them...so I finally invited myself over. I got to see their amazing new place, complete with pool, and then we headed to the famous Crackers Cafe for lunch. Yummy!!! It was great hanging out with them. We got to talk about all the gossip in Nauvoo and catch up on other happenings in AZ also. It was great to see them, but a little sad too (for reasons we won't get into).

I then made the trek to the parentals' place to greet my bro, sis-in-law and their kiddos who drove down from Utah for the week. We got in some good quality swimming and children playing time. It is always good to be around family!

Then I headed home to get ready for the night's main event: the group date. I got hooked up with a great guy and had a lot of fun with him. (Side note: Julie in the UK, don't go and buy a hat just yet...) The date went as follows:


We met at Walmart. Great place for a date right? Each couple grabbed a shopping cart and wandered around the store finding 25 of the most random items you can think of. Then it was time to swap carts with another couple and put the items away. Sounds fun? Well...it kind of was and kind of wasn't. Finding the items was fun, but putting them away pretty much sucked. We couldn't run, we couldn't stash things in random places and we couldn't ask anyone for help. An hour and 15 minutes later...our cart was empty. My date and I actually came in second place so that's not too shabby. And to make matters even better, we won a prize because the couple who came in first bought the prizes and decided they were not eligible to win. So, between me and you, let's just say we came in first place! Needless to say, I don't think I will not be spending much time in Walmart in the near future...unless completely necessary. Several of the couples left the store feeling a bit frustrated:

By the way, the first and only time I have played the shopping cart game before was when I lived in Nauvoo. There really isn't much to do in such a small town...so we had to be creative. I never imagined I would play that game again...

After our Walmart experience we headed back to Tommy's house for more fun. This time each couple was given a block of ice cream and was told to make an ice cream sculpture.

My date and I had a brilliant idea to sculpt Mr. Potato Head using the prize we won for the Walmart game as a prop. However, the ice cream was quite melty and our attempts failed miserably. We made a tombstone instead.


Then we played a game that I believe is the world's most humiliating game (next to Curses, of course) called The Great Dalmuti:

If you have ever played Scum, the game is virtually identical. The object of the game is to become the Great Dalmuti by getting rid of your cards the first. The other players want to overthrow the Great Dalmuti by getting rid of their cards before the Great Dalmuti does. By a stroke of luck, my date and I started as the Great Dalmuti, and I am happy to report that after playing the game for 6 hours (a slight exaggeration) we never got dethroned. Can you say skill?

And then the date was over. The usual "hug" was exchanged and then it was onto the phone to get the goods from the other girls involved in the date. You know how girls are...we just like to gossip!

Sunday was the typical church, family time, fireside and games. Unfortunately the Great Dalmuti was played again. I made the move from the bottom of the totem pole to the Great Dalmuti spot...and again was not dethroned. I am amazing!

{and I am humble}

2 comments:

Marianne and Matt said...

I have to say I have never played any of those interesting games. However, I think I would have won the Walmart game....it's kinda like my second home, as much as I hate to admit it!

Amy Piller said...

Sounds like fun. so did you take any pictures of your ice cream master piece?