Monday, June 16, 2008

quiet reflection

So, for those of you who know me really well, you know that this week is my birthday. The big 2-7...not loving that number. You may also know that I really like it when a big deal is made about my birthday. And I like to make big deals out of others' birthdays as well. So I had a big plan to make a big deal about ME on my blog this week. I had planned to write a blog everyday focusing on me and what I really love so you can get to know me a little better. And then the strangest thing happened. Well, it was tragic really. A 30 year old boy in my ward was discovered dead in his house by 2 girls from my ward. He had been murdered and had been dead for about 5 days before he was discovered (read article here). At church yesterday we focused a lot on him and it was AMAZING to see how my ward has really come together because of this tragedy. And it really made me realize that life is too short to be selfish...


We are having a memorial for him tonight and the linger longer committee (of which I am a proud member) is doing a light dinner afterward. I was amazed at how many people are willing to help out in this endeavor. I am so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful ward. I am so blessed to be a member of an amazing church (click on word church to see what I am talking about) that always lends a helping hand in time of need. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of the plan of Salvation, for our Savior's sacrifice for us that we can return to live with our Father in Heaven again. We can be forgiven of our sins. We can see our family members who have passed on again. Life is eternal. Death is not the end. We have a Father in Heaven and a Savior who know how we feel. We can turn to Them and They will ALWAYS be there to help us. For this, I am eternally grateful...


So, this is my challenge to all of you this week: take the time to forget about yourself. Search for ways that you can help someone else in need. This world is scary, but I know that we can come together to make it a better place. And that's all I have to say about that...


{thanks Travis}

5 comments:

Amy Piller said...

Wow, I am so sorry to hear what your ward is going through right now. I will keep Travis' family in my prayers.

Marianne and Matt said...

Geez, pass the kleenex!! This post brought a tear to my eye. What a sad thing to have happen. It really does put things into perspective. Also thanks for your testimony, it was very uplifting. I will try harder this week to not think about myself so much!

Katy Wilson said...

oh my gosh! that is so sad...it just frustrates me to no end that things like this happen...

Amy Piller said...

In response to your comment...I wish we were hiring and you could come work with me. On Sunday during Sacrament Grant turned to me and said "Alayna should move here" I am not sure where the thought came from but I agree with him. We wish you were closer. Hey we will be in AZ for Christmas so maybe we will be able to spend sometime then again!

tiare said...

that is very sad. it's an amazing blessing to have such a great ward to rally around each other. i'll keep his family and the ward in my prayers.