Thursday, March 18, 2010

green

St Patrick's Day came and went.

To be honest, I am not even sure why we celebrate the holiday or the significance of it, but I am always up for a little celebration and an excuse to get a little crazy. Sadly, green is one of my least favorite colors (the real color green...not like lime green or sage green), so I don't really own anything that color. Sure, I have my eyes...but that is cheating. So I headed to my local Wal-Mart and bought myself a $4 shirt. And this is me attempting to take a picture of my "lucky shirt" complete with four leaf clover:

Not the cutest thing in the world, but hey...I am broke. So I rocked my shirt at work and didn't really do anything fun during the day. I did get pinched by a girl in the shipping department (I was wearing a jacket over my shirt so I can understand why she thought I wasn't wearing green) but it was more of a soft pinch and not a painful skin twisting pinch, so I let it slide. I know you are supposed to pinch someone back if they pinch you in error, but I am not really a fan of torturing others...

After work I went home and spent quite a few hours trying to get rid of the green (a.k.a. the weeds taking up residence in my backyard). Thanks to some awesomely wet weather, weeds are growing rampant in the state. I have the world's smallest backyard, and every square inch is full of weeds. You would think it would be easy to pick them, but I have spent several hours out there and have barely made a dent! Weeds = my nemesis:
And, of course, no St. Patrick's Day solo celebration would be complete without dying atleast one edible item green. Since I was partying by myself and feeling lazy after weed picking, I made myself some potatoes and added a few drops of green food coloring. I don't know why, but this totally made my day:
I will never forget lunch time on St. Patrick's Day in elementary school. They {the lunch ladies} always died our food green that day and I thought it was so cool. I totally plan to do that for my kiddos, if/when they come...
Yep, it was a less than exciting day, but I really did love {most} every minute of it!

2 comments:

Lindsey and Zach said...

That is so gross looking, but hilarious ...Oh Layns the things you do, I wish I lived close so we could have spent the pointless holiday together.

Emily said...

i love that! I put green polka dots on jordan's sandwich and died his peanut butter great with the same method you used in your potatoes. I had fun. I also told my children if they pinched me they would get no food! Love it. I have always loved St. Patricks Day for no other reason that I think because it is in March.
Love ya.