Sunday, March 21, 2010

You're kidding, right?!

Hmm...where to begin? Let me preface this by saying that I know the Lord has a plan for each of us, and will only give us what we can handle. However, sometimes (ok, most of the time) I find myself saying, "What is He thinking?!" Today was one of those days...

I've mentioned several times that I attend a small Branch. Because we are a small Branch, each member of the Branch has several callings (myself included). I personally feel like I am one of those people who has some pretty big callings. For example, I am a Relief Society teacher and teach once a month, I play the piano in Relief Society every week (which involves learning 3 songs each week and playing prelude...and because I am not a great piano player, I have to practice a few times during the week), and I am also on the Activities committee. As part of my activities committee calling I am in charge of making and upkeeping a bulletin board in the church, I had to create a missionary board at the church and I was also asked to post activities on our Branch website. Overwhelming right?

Well a few days ago I got a text asking me if I could meet with a member of the Branch presidency before church today. Usually when that happens it means you are getting a calling or getting released from a calling. Well, surprise, surprise I got ANOTHER calling today! I am now serving as a Family Home Evening Head, which means I plan and implement an activity for Family Home Evening every other week, but also have to coordinate lessons and missionary moments every week. It's not a huge calling, but still pretty time consuming.

I walked out of that room wondering what the Lord was thinking and why I have to have so many callings. I completely understand that small numbers in the Branch correlate to large numbers of callings...but 4 (in my mind it feels like 5)? If I was just a ward greeter and on a small committee, I could understand. But each calling seems huge to me! MIND YOU, I AM NOT COMPLAINING! One of my favorite quotes from Mother Teresa states, "I know the Lord won't give me anything I can't handle...I just wish He didn't trust me so much." Yep, I have every confidence that the Lord trusts me right now. And I think that's a good thing.

But just for fun, the Lord threw 2 more things in my face today to see if I would laugh. I got asked to teach the lesson at FHE tomorrow and I got asked to teach Sunday School next week. Um...I'm not laughing.

In fact, I actually burst into tears after church. I had to call my mom and let my feelings out before I could go back into the church building for my Branch Council meeting. Needless to say, I feel overwhelmed. But like I said, I have every confidence that the Lord will help me get through this next week.

All I can say is, thank goodness I got internet at my house yesterday, because it is really going to come in handy preparing my two lessons this week. See, the Lord has a plan!

3 comments:

Emily said...

good for you. Wow that is a lot to handle, but really he does have a plan and through your faithfulness you will feel his presence in your life like never before. He loves you! So do I

Megane said...

Congrats...I think....
Sounds like a lot but like you said He knows you can do it. My advice, plan once - teach the same lesson at both!!! j/k Good luck!!

Emily Stradling said...

I'm not going to lie, reading this post go me very nervous!